Saturday, January 28, 2012

Do I really want to work for Wonderware?

"I started in the early days of Wonderware.  Everyone in the tech business wanted to work there, it was the Facebook or Google of its day.    On my first day, I went in early, brought my lunch, and stayed to about 5:30 that evening.  I left the building to have dinner with a friend, and on my way out noticed that the parking lot was still nearly full.  After dinner, I dropped off my dinner companion who left her car at the Wonderware parking lot.  The lot was still 3/4 full.   I went to meet another friend and we went to a movie.  After the movie was over about 10 PM, I was just curious enough to check out the Wonderware parking lot, as it was near my apartment.  The parking lot was still more than 1/2 full.  I had to ask myself, do I really want to work here?"

"I decided I did.  Dennis Morin was a business genius.   He understood why people wanted to work at Wonderware.   The changing the world thing was important, sure, but Dennis knew that people wanted to work for him because it was a chance to make more money than you could anywhere else.  He was very generous with stock options.   When Wonderware had their successful IPO in July, 1993, the parking lot was full of new cars for employees the following week.   The price of a new car was about the size of the average employee cash haul from the IPO."   

Jon Gwynne - Wonderware Training Instructor 

No comments:

Post a Comment